Man-Made Hurricanes

25 Responses to Man-Made Hurricanes

1. Psalmon says:

So here are the buoys and fixed stations that Florence is forecast to pass over…

Real hurricanes like the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane, 1938 Long Island Express, Camile and Andrew actually had recorded sustained wind speeds on land of 120mph and even higher.

Damage from these storms was also consistent with winds of that magnitude. Buildings were razed to their foundations. Beaches were scoured of beach homes. New inlets and islands were formed and even destroyed.

Modern day hurricanes we are told have “Category 5” winds, but when these winds reach land somehow they can’t be recorded. When 2017 Irma passed over Vaca Key, the Category 4 hurricane did minimal damage and recorded gusts of 85 knots…sustained winds of 65 knots.

So watch these stations and see what a “Category 5” hurricane actually registers…I hope for the sake of NC and SC it follows the same pattern and is just a big rain storm.

• Gator says:

Those on Vaca Key who live above the tree line saw complete and utter destruction of their properties when Irma passed.

• Stewart Pid says:

Last week I had an online chat with a woman at the weathernetwork about the algorithms used in the models to determine wind speed. All properties in the models of Vaca Key were wiped off the map too ;-)

Good one Gator … I read ur post and thought WTF is he talking about and started to reread and then thought dang …. sarc …. got me!!

• Gator says:

Alpine hurricanes are the leading cause of death amongst of Florida’s montane population, and it’s why you no longer find any mountain villages south of Orlando.

• gofer says:

O/T Gator what kind of hummingbird utopia you in the meddle of? I’ve got 4-5 birds and one on a swing that rules access to feeders. Manage only 8-‘oz every few days. My deam is a charm with a 100 .birds

• Gator says:

A few weeks ago I was going through over two gallons of nectar per day. I’ve done some calculating and I believe I’m feeding a few hundred birds. Hummingbirds are like salmon, they return to their birthplace to spawn. If conditions are right and there is a steady food sourced they can have up to three sets of young per year. At the rate they are reproducing here, I’m not sure how I am going to keep up. I have eight quart size feeders now, and I’m looking at upgrading…

• Spiritus Mundi says:

Station 41002 should be the money shot. It is a bit off shore so it should pickup up the highest wind speeds.

• Rah says:

I monitored all buoy and land station data in real time as Irma approached the keys and then made landfall near Naples. It was two classes below that claimed in the keys and one class below that claimed when it made landfall.

• Andy says:

Proof?

Either prove of this just falls into the hearsay bucket…..

• Gator says:

But all government claims are fact. Baaaaaa-aaaaa…

• Rah says:

Na, I got nothing to prove to you. I could not care less what you think. I didn’t make a 6 hour long video of the split screen on my computer with land stations on the left and buoys on the right. I’m sure though that you would never try to actually check the real data as recorded by sources 10 meters above surface level
          Looking for the highest wind speeds sustained for a minimum of one minute as REQUIRED to determine Saffir-simpson classification per NOAA published standards.

• Psalmon says:

Here is the Naples data I captured a year ago as it passed directly over the city…

50 knot winds sustained. 5 foot storm surge (forecast was 10-15 feet).

I have many more of these if you would like.

• Psalmon says:

Just for clarification (since I got lost in all the sarcasm…I think I skied in an alpine hurricane once hmmmm)…Vaca Key was 23 mi from the centerline path of Irma.

The LAND station in Vaca Key never registered winds of hurricane force (below). Irma was officially a Cat 4 Hurricane at the time.

Storm Surge was actually about 2 feet. The forecast was 5-10 feet.

And even the FakeNews Washington Post acknowledged damage only reached the level of “battered”:

By comparison, Andrew and Camile razed almost everything in their path.

It will be interesting to see the actual data for Flo…

2. Lance says:

well, my best wishes for all those who are about to get slammed….hope all goes well….

3. Andy says:

“Real hurricanes like”

So this is not a hurricane?

“Modern day hurricanes we are told have “Category 5” winds”

Well currently this hurricane, which is not real, is bordering 3 and 4 at the moment and the landfall prediction is 3 max.

“So watch these stations and see what a “Category 5” hurricane actually registers”

Well we can’t because of the above. Where have you come up with category 5 for this one? You seem to be making it up and then bashing it for not being as big as your made up fantasy??????

Andy

PS I will laugh if, amazingly it does happen to be cat 5 on landfall. Then you can come back and say the figures were made up to make it seem bigger than it was. Which it was never, apart from your post … go figure.

• Gator says:

PS I will laugh if, amazingly it does happen to be cat 5 on landfall.

Sick bastard.

• Andy says:

God apparently blessed America and is continually asked to Bless America by US politicians.

So don’t call me out commentating on his great works.

You can laugh at me when we get an F5 tornado in the UK and I am worried ;)

And according to the GOP supporters on Breitbart.com it is God’s way of dealing with a blue state to show them the errors of their way. Even though we do not know where landfall will be.

So there………

Andy

• Andy says:

“I’m praying for a north turn, and NYC winding up in it’s path. They deserve it.”

“Speaking of floods… HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of foreigners are STILL entering our country as though we have no sovereignty, no border. AN OUTRAGE.”

and finally

“hurricane is kind of like a weak tornado that stays around longer and is miles wide and includes flooding.
          i’ve been through many.”

I couldn’t be bothered trolling through the next 800 posts for equally daft comments.

Andy

• Gator says:

Andy and the rest of the crazies…

Andy thinks if someone else is a sick bastard, it is OK for him to be just as sick. Freaks of a feather…

• AndyDC says:

If it stalls offshore, as now forecast, it will go down as one of the greatest wolf cries in fake news history.

4. Andy says:

If we turn our attention to Isaac for the moment I find it interesting that although having a long time going through warmer waters it is still only judged to be a TS all the way through to south of Cuba.

Normally long runs in warm waters lead to a big Atlantic hurricane both in size and strength and this one is forecasted to not be a major player compared to Florence.

Hurricanes that squeeze between Cuba and Cancun can tend to get really large without landmass influence so this one is worth keeping an eye on.

Even if peters out and turns towards Texas it will bring rains that will make the steaks bigger next year :D

Andy

5. Andy says:

What a load of rubbish

“Florence, for example, is projected to near Category 5 status as it approaches warm coastal waters.”

Why not just say 4 rather than near 5? duh

That’s twice on this thread people are coming up with 5 now rather than 3/4

This is not the first time this H spot feminist has had column inches on something she does not really follow.
    Andy

6. cdquarles says:

For me, an issue is that the reports are estimated winds (the actual official reports do say estimated) from measurements taken at aircraft flight level, dropsonde recordings, weather radar measurements or satellite estimates based on scattering. Then they estimate the surface wind from that. I don’t doubt the measurements much, but they’re at altitudes well above the ground. They’re mostly not the 3 or 10 meter measurements. Most of the reported winds from the more distant past, and definitely so for Camille, were actual ground measurements. If we classified these storms today, based on ground measurements only, we wouldn’t be calling many of them as Cat 3/4/5. They’d be cat 1 or 2.