Very Fake News About US Heat

17 Responses to Very Fake News About US Heat

1. jackson says:

I like the video.
    I don’t like your use of the word ‘plummeting’ which implies a precipitous drop.
    From the graphics it looks more like the temps have drifted lower.

• tonyheller says:

The drop in US summer temperatures since the 1930’s is massive.

• Steve Case says:

I agree, jackson should read up on the dust bowl era sometime. Even the fake temperatures at NOAA’s Climate at a Glance don’t hide it. I tell people summer temperatures in the Eastern U.S. have gone down since the 19th century, and they look at me like I’m a crank. Well I am all of that, but I’m not wrong.

By my count this is your 75th in a series and my Excel spread sheet says your getting an average of 835 and median of 734 views per episode. The max is almost 2400 – 3 days ago.

I hear Trump is going to take on the Montreal Protocol. His administration needs to take on the entire Green Mafia.

• jackson says:

The drop from the 1930’s has been large, a lot, massive…
        But 1930’s was a while ago.
        ‘Plummeting’ seems a bit ‘alarmist’ to me.
        Perhaps it is meant to mimic that type of communication.

Please keep up the good work, my comment is only about a small style point.

• Robertv says:

How would you call the temperature rise from 1919 – 1930 ?

• John Case says:

Mount Pelée volcanic eruption in 1902, also erupted 1929 to 1932

Santa María volcanic eruption in 1902

Novarupta volcanic eruption in 1912

Volcán de Colima volcanic eruption in 1913

Kelud volcanic eruption in 1919

Cerro Azul volcanic eruption in 1932

• Arn says:

I think in a scientific field where a non-existent increase of temperature
      is called apocalyptic/ armageddon/ global warming will kill us all
      (without any evidence and full knowledge of the fact that the earth had in the past
      massive temperature increases without catastrophic scenarios to appear))
      the term plummeting is spot on,

especially in a world where temperature rise of 1/10 degree is sold by mainstream scientists as the end of the world,
      to call a decrease of 1degree+ plummetting is very soft and reasonable.

2. CheshireRed says:

Nice take-down.

3. garyh845 says:

That’s great material Tony; I’d always thought that global warming began with the beginning of printing color temperature maps in the newspapers. . . all that yellow, orange, red, and burnt orange. My God – look at the temps on this map – we’re’ all going to die.

Shades of gray were much easier on the sweat glands.

4. ItsGettingHotinHereSo says:

The other “trick” they used was to omit 30 years of cooler data from the post 1960 comparison time period.

The first comparison period was 1901-1960. It included the warming of the 30s but also the cooling time period from 1940 to 1960. So this comparison period has the warming of the 1930s negated by the the cooling time periods pre 30s and 1940-1960.

That leaves 1961-2012 as the other comparison period. However, they omitted the data from 1961-1990 (30 years of data). Why? Because the 60s, 70s and the 80s were cool. By starting in 1991 they removed the cooler 60, 70s and 80s from the calculation, leaving only the warming time period from 1991-2012. [Also, Tony provided other insight as to why they started in 1991.]

They used one method to calculate the average temperature for 1901-1960 and a different method to calculate the average temperature for the time period from 1961-2012. This is not an acceptable practice.

Their methodology guarantees to create an increase in warming between the two time periods.

I will follow up with an analysis of Crosbyton weather station. It illustrates the impact of their methodology on the temperature data reported in the USA Temperature Map.

Great job Tony! Could you post the slides from the video on a post. I would like to include them in a presentation I am putting together on this topic. Thank you!!!

• ItsGettingHotinHereSo says:

Crosbyton, Texas
      Temperature in Celsius

15.643 1901-1960
      15.968 1991-2012 (30 years of data omitted from 1961-1990 time period)
      0.325 Warming

15.643 1901-1960
      15.465 1961-2012 (includes the 30 years of omitted data)
      -0.178 Cooling

A cooling trend of -0.178 turns into a warming trend of 0.325, resulting in the red warming colors on the map.

Wow.

5. ItsGettingHotinHereSo says:

correction: (30 years of data omitted from 1961-2012 time period)

• ItsGettingHotinHereSo says:

My interpretation of the change in temperature calculation may not be correct.

• ItsGettingHotinHereSo says:

But then again it might. Will update shortly.

:-)

• ItsGettingHotinHereSo says:

The colors on the map show temperature changes over the past 22 years (1991-2012) compared to the 1901-1960 average.

I think they mean they compared the average of 1991-2012 to the average of 1901-1960.