Plummeting August 6th Temperatures In The US

August 6th afternoon temperatures have plummeted in the US over the past century. August 6th, 1918 tied for the hottest day on record in Maryland at 109 degrees. One third of the US was over 100 degrees that day, and more than one half of the US was over 95 degrees.

On August 6th, 1930 more than two-thirds of the US was over 90 degrees.

The average afternoon temperature that day was 93 degrees.

Prior to 50 years ago, there were many spectacular heatwaves on August 6th.

On August 6th, 1947 there were temperatures well over 100 degrees reported in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

August 6th afternoon temperatures have dropped four degrees since 1900 at Cheboygan, Michigan. On this date in 1947 it was 104 degrees there. Today’s forecast is 26 degrees cooler.

10 Responses to Plummeting August 6th Temperatures In The US

1. Johansen says:

Having just spent all weekend hearing people complain about “things getting hotter”, I am amazed at the top 4 graphs, there

• tonyheller says:

Most people have no clue how hot the US used to be.

• Ernest Bush says:

Mark it off as newer generations spending so much time indoors they complain as soon as the sun hits them outdoors. People act like they will all drop like flies in Yuma, AZ, at 104 this time of year. Meanwhile, summer highs have been slowly getting cooler here since the early 90’s.

I’ve discovered that sometimes the weather apps and Weather Underground will show me the temperature at some amateur site which reads higher than the official site. I have to choose MCAS Yuma again to make them switch.

2. RonnyLee says:

An anecdotal observation that is slightly off topic, yet still germane: local San Diego TV “news” stations are reporting anomalous ocean water temperatures that are “ten degrees above normal.” Disregarding the disingenuous and incorrect use of the term “normal,” when they should more appropriately say, “average,” they are reporting the sea temperature at 77 degrees Fahrenheit. Being a native to the San Diego area, with a life-long interest in meteorology, I know by personal observation, that this claim is untrue. Being a beach goer, body surfer and fisherman, I have observed the daily reported wave heights, ocean temps, and fish counts(on the charter boats) for decades. I saw and swam in surf at 76 degrees on many occasions. Yet, now, when I go to the NOAA website to confirm my historical observations, I am surprised to see they are reporting the historical high seawater temperature for San Diego as 69.4 degrees Fahrenheit. This is ridiculous and would be comical, if it weren’t so sinister.

• Disillusioned says:

“Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”
      ― George Orwell, 1984

3. AndyDC says:

The local media say that we in the DC area are in the “grips of a heatwave.” Yesterday, it was all of 91 degrees, but the “feels like” temperature with humidity factored in was 100. That is misleading, because in DC, it is normally humid when hot in August. So 91 feels exactly as hot in 2018 as it did 50 or 100 years ago

4. Bob Hoye says:

Hi Tony
    I’ve written a piece on the political and legal hysteria going on in your country.
    Includes some historical examples such as the Soviet “Show Trials” of the 1930s.
    1300 words. I don’t want to abuse my welcome and post the link.
    If you email to me, I can send it and you can decide.
    bobhoye@shaw.ca