My Editorial In The Santa Fe New Mexican

I was born and raised in Los Alamos, worked as a scientist at Los Alamos and Sandia national laboratories, and have been an active environmentalist all my life. Forty-five years ago this May, I traveled with my high school history teacher, Mary Louise Williams of El Rancho, to a congressional hearing and testified in support of the Escalante Wilderness in Utah. I was active in the fight for the clean air and water acts. I volunteered for two summers during the 1980s as a wilderness ranger in the Cibola and Santa Fe National Forests.

I now live in Boulder, Colo., and do all my commuting and shopping on a bicycle. I’m a well-known blogger in support of cycling, mass transit and protecting the environment. But I am best known as a climate change skeptic who is closely aligned with the Trump administration and the Trump Environmental Protection Agency. I provide much of the historical climate information used by the Trump EPA transition team and congressional Republicans.

Last week, I was attacked by The New York Times as part of a wildly misleading hit piece against EPA administrator Scott Pruitt. A similar article attacking Pruitt (“EPA head rejects climate change science,” March 10) was published by The Washington Post and reprinted in The New Mexican.

As an insider, I know that there is no conspiracy against science or the environment in the Trump administration or at the Trump EPA. Quite the opposite — they are very serious about protecting the environment. The Obama EPA was obsessed with carbon dioxide and ignored actual pollution problems like the Flint, Mich., water supply. Two years ago, the EPA directly caused one of the largest toxic waste spills in the Animas River in Colorado after being warned for weeks to stop its activities there. No one in the EPA was ever held accountable or punished for that disaster.

The Washington Post story featured Pruitt’s statement, “There is tremendous disagreement about [human impact] on climate.” This is not an attack on science, it is a statement of fact. A 2013 survey of professional members of the American Meteorological Society found that only 52 percent believe humans are primarily responsible for global warming. No legitimate survey of scientists has ever come close to the 97 percent number used in TheWashington Post article. Mark Twain famously said, “There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

Dr. William Gray of Colorado State University, who passed away last year at age 86, was a good friend of mine. He invented modern hurricane forecasting and was the best respected tropical meteorologist in the world. Dr. Gray was very vocal against exaggerated claims about global warming. On his deathbed, he asked me to continue his legacy against climate hysteria.

Former U.S. senator from New Mexico, Dr. Harrison Schmitt, is the only scientist to have walked on the moon and is a well-known climate change skeptic. Physicist Freeman Dyson is a well-known climate change skeptic and was once described by The New York Times as being “infinitely smart.” Dr. Edward Teller was father of the American hydrogen bomb and was a well-known climate change skeptic. Dr. William Happer of Princeton is President Donald Trump’s likely science adviser and a well-known climate change skeptic. There are tens of thousands of scientists who agree with Pruitt’s questions about human impact. Science is about open discussion and debate, not dogma, censorship and personal attacks.

Eighty-four percent of U.S. counties voted for President Trump. Let’s work together with our new president and the rest of America to keep America’s environment great.

33 Responses to My Editorial In The Santa Fe New Mexican

1. gator69 says:

The Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News were a “no”? No?

• John F. Hultquist says:

… and reprinted in The New Mexican.

gator69,
      “Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News”

Did you see it there, also?

• gator69 says:

No. I would be surprised of they would print Tony’s excellent editorial, especailly now.

2. RAH says:

Nice Tony. When you headed back east again?

• tonyheller says:

Thanks. I don’t have any plans to head east in the near future. I’m taking a break from travel for a while.

• RAH says:

Well deserved. Hope those fires aren’t causing you any problems. Your normal bicycle path still clear?

• Colorado Wellington says:

It should be clear of smoke. I’m elsewhere right now but the winds are roughly WSW from the mountains.

• AndyG55 says:

You have been rather … busy ! :-)

You deserve a “lay-back” period.

We all thank you for your massive efforts in combatting this behemoth !!

3. Sunsettommy says:

Very nice,Tony!

Thank You for your hard work.

4. Scarface says:

Well written and with a crystal clear message.

Keep fighting the good fight!

5. Robert says:

Excellent article Tony. Keep up the good work

6. frederik wisse says:

Individuals like you Tony are of immeasurable value to our society . Where lies and falseness have become trade-marks in our world , a sincere voice is beyond a pleaseant surprise .

7. TimboA says:

For what it’s worth Tony, my Dad was a PHD physicist at Los Alamos, but it took him all of 5 minutes to reject the GW crowd after he saw all the politics and manipulation involved in their “findings”. I’ll always appreciate him for his skepticism of dogma, and I admire you for the same reason.

8. RickS says:

Good article !

Man wouldn’t it of been the bomb (Literally) to be at Los Alamos circa July, 1945 ?

Watching/Testing Nuclear Weapons would have been the job of jobs and the Bikini Atoll/South Pacific was the cream-of-the-crop !!

Ya know Fission Bombs are not at all difficult to build (See Iran soon, very soon (THANKS OBAMA, WITHOUT “YOU” IT “WOULDN’T” BE POSSIBLE)) once you have a few pounds of 90% pure U235 or P239 (@ 97+% it gets really easy) !

As for “climate change skeptic” ?

There is “no” skepticism involved, everything is just as its “always” been, Seasons come and go and Cycles come and go, when one cycle ends another begins !

Global Warming = LIE
    Climate Change = LIE

IT-IS-ALL-A-LIE……….

And a “1st” Grader could see it !!!

And…

Those who propagate this “LIE” are “TRADERS” to the Human Race and should face firing squads ASAP !!!

Send them back Home where “real” Global Warming exists !

• Gail Combs says:

“Watching/Testing Nuclear Weapons would have been the job of jobs “

A friend of my husband’s along with Harry Stubbs aka Hal Clement, were doing some of that testing. Dr. L in a job interview, was asked about his ability to deal with deadlines. He said he was excellent at it. When the interview asked him to explain what happened if he was not on time — he answered “The atomic bomb went off.” He got the job, his first as a technical writer. Later hired my husband.

And if you think AndyG is a wise guy…

• AndyG55 says:

Chuckle.. I don’t think too many would accuse me of being “wise ” ;-)

• Ah! Every visit to the used bookstore I cast about for an overlooked Hal Clement novel.

• Gail Combs says:

I had a subscription to Analog from 1964 on. Hal Clement stories were the first I read. It was great to actually get the chance to meet him in person @ Dr L’s 50th birthday party. He roasted Dr L and Dr L retaliated by mentioning Hal had learned to fly a plane before he learned to drive. When speeding away from the bomb site they would over take another car and there would be Hal, frantically pulling on the steering wheel to try and get the car to ‘lift’ over the slower car….

• gator69 says:

RickS says:
      March 19, 2017 at 10:42 pm
      Good article…

Troll?

Or…

9. R. Shearer says:

Nice editorial!

There are too many environmental atrocities being committed in the name of saving the plant from global warming. The mass destruction of rain forests in the Amazon and Asia being among the worse.

10. Gail Combs says:

Tony,

11. gregole says:

Excellent, concise, and pointed. Love it; and I commented on my Facebook account.

12. LexingtonGreen says:

Tony,
    If you have free time from EPA work, ever since Trump won I have been salivating hoping you could annotate “NASA’s Evidence of Climate Change” page.

It would truly be golden to see that page with its specious crap annotated with real facts that show a completely different story.

I had not known you were with EPA until this. Wooohoooooooooooooo!

• While Tony made inroads against Eco-National Socialism the enemy invaded the IBM ozone hole website. There we used to find ozone images and even videos compiled from the sequence of images showing no difference in ozone levels before and after the lynching of freon.
      Now the site has been invaded or hacked, and drips hand-wringing angst attacks by National Socialist ex-scientists suckling funds off of NASA (remember space exploration?) and the State Science Institute–people like Floyd Ferris and the smarmy creep whose name I can’t recall… Gavin?

13. Andy DC says:

To be attacked by the NY Times should be taken as a badge of honor and a sure sign that your well crafted evidence and incisive commentary has definitely struck a nerve. Big time!

14. Terresa says:

I was very, very pleasantly surprised to read your article today in the Sunday Santa Fe New Mexican. I have lived the last 30 years in Santa Fe but was raised in Denver. It takes a lot of courage to go against the extreme climate orthodoxy which is so intent on shutting down – a word used on campuses these days – any ideas that are not in lock step with it’s climate dogma. And yet, as you point out in your article, the EPA, under the Obama administration, did that nothing after the EPA, caused the toxic spill in the Animas. Where are their priorities? Thank you for your writing and taking a stand. It is so important to keep the dialogue alive and real scientific study continuing.

15. Louis Hooffstetter says:

Dr. Gray would be proud.

16. Colorado Wellington says:

[just noticed I must not have hit the “post” button on my original note]

A powerful and well written editorial—this should have impact on people not totally blinded by hate.

As Louis said, Dr. Gray would be proud.

17. Dan Zielinski says: