80 Years Ago Today : Worst Heatwave in US History

2016-05-08081051-down

, Page 1 – Carroll Daily Herald at Newspapers.com

July 3, 1936 marked the beginning of the worst heatwave in US history. Thousands of people died.  Afternoon temperatures in Pawnee, Nebraska averaged 104F during July, and reached as high as 113F.

PAWNEECITY_NE_DailyMaximumTemperatureF_Jul_Jul_1936

Temperatures in South Dakota were over 115F

ABERDEEN_SD_DailyMaximumTemperatureF_Jul_Jul_1936

Almost the entire US baked in unprecedented heat.

2016-07-03054433

mwr-064-07-c1.pdf

The frequency of hot days has plummeted since then, but facts don’t matter to climate alarmists. They get paid to lie.

2016-07-03005755

11 Responses to 80 Years Ago Today : Worst Heatwave in US History

1. Oliver K. Manuel says:

Thanks, Steven, for this post.

I was born in 1936 and my mother did not recover from childbirth.

Before I depart too, I hope to see correction of a basic error in Dr. Carl von Weizsacker’s nuclear binding energy equation that has deprived humanity of Aston’s 1922 promise of “powers beyond the dreams of scientific fiction.”

Nuclear energy will become an asset to humanity if we have the courage to admit and to correct the error in Dr. Carl von Weizsacker’s original nuclear binding energy equation.

Energy is a thermodynamic state function, as used by Einstein in 1905 and Aston’s 1922 concept of nuclear packing fraction. But Weisacker mistakenly defined nuclear binding energy as a thermodynamic path function.

Weizsacker’s nuclear binding energy equation:

1. Exaggerates instability from proton-proton repulsion
    2. Obscures instability from neutron-neutron repulsion

Please allow a discussion of this matter on your blog.

With kind regards,
    Oliver K. Manuel
    1-573-647-1377

2. It is worth remembering that, as well as 1934 and 1936, the summer of 1930 also had record breaking heatwaves:

3. RAH says:

Got back in from my trip to Nogales, AZ at 01:00 this (Sunday) morning. On Friday I was driving west on I-10 headed for Nogales. Down the huge desert valley one passes through only 11 miles from the AZ border it was raining and it was 68 deg. F at 07:20 local time. Standing water on both sides of the road so they had obviously had some rain. took a couple of pics

4. RAH says:

Looking forward.

5. RAH says:

As you can see the terrible, horrible, deadly, “record setting heat wave” in the desert SW US is long gone. That is standing water off in the distance on the other side of the RR embankment in the first shot.

Once I crossed the boarder the Arizona DOT called me into the weigh station. Wanted to see Registration, Insurance form, and IFTA paperwork. Typical. Looking at the two shots you can see some of crap I have on my windshield. In the top photo the blue box is EZ-pass transponder for tolls. Left of it you can see part of the Pre-Pass transponder which is for weigh in motion at scales. At the bottom of the windshield is a RFID tag for paying tolls for the Ambassador bridge between Detroit, MI and Windsor, CA.
    On the next photo you can see at the bottom right of the windshield an RFID tag for fueling which is supposed to eventually make so a driver doesn’t even have to use a card to pay but for right now is a pain in the rear because I have to use the Comdata card and enter even more information on the key pad than I did before. On the bottom left is the RFID tag for US customs when coming back into the US from Canada.

Having pointed all the out, now notice that my GPS is strapped down on top of my CB. This is because it can’t be mounted with it’s suction cup to the windshield within the seep of the wiper blades because some states claim it dangerously limits driver vision and they will ticket us big truck drivers. Of course never mind that the rule does not apply to any other vehicles other than commercial trucks despite the fact that big trucks generally have far larger windshields than cars.

Temps for the whole trip were not bad. We delivered to a warehouse right on the Mexican border in Nogales. And I mean RIGHT ON. We picked up on North side of Tucson and headed home.

Anyone traveling that way heading up towards KC or points east should try getting of the interstates some and run US 70 up to US 54 and take that out of NM through a corner of the Texas Pan handle, through the OK pan handle right up to Wichita to catch I-35. Pleasant drive through a lot of big sky country with a lot less trarric and less than 30 minutes longer than using I-40 to got to Oklahoma City then I-44 heading towards St. Louis. Besides, the fewer big cities a driver passes through the less likely the delays due to construction, accidents, and rush hours.

6. RAH says:

BTW I made it from the NE corner of NM to the IL welcome center at about MM 26 on I-70 during 10 hours and 58 minutes of driver time on Saturday taking the US 54 as described above to I-35 around the south side of KC to I-70 to I-270 to I-70 route.

7. Oliver K. Manuel says:

Sitting outside in heavy rain, the atmosphere is now very unsteady here in Jackson, MO.

8. RAH says:

Again today the sun is spotless.
    Notice the sunspot count for this cycle is quickly heading for it’s minimum and the max the current cycle (24) was considerably lower than it was for cycle 20 which encompassed much of the 70’s.