Peter Gleick : The Gulf Coast Never Had Heavy Rain Before

The Gulf Coast is experiencing an historic hurricane drought, but they get a few days of heavy rain (the week after the DNC declared them to be in permanent rainfall drought) and it is a “symptom of climate change”

2016-08-15065736

In 1979, Alvin, Texas received 41 inches of rain in one day.

Next Gleick goes on to use this wildly fraudulent map from the White House, showing heavy precipitation trends since 1958.

2016-08-15065540

2016-08-15065504

The White House started their study right at the minimum since 1895. Junk science doesn’t get any worse than that.

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 6.51.19 AM

21 Responses to Peter Gleick : The Gulf Coast Never Had Heavy Rain Before

1. gator69 says:

Peter Gleick lies? How long has this been going on?

In 2011, Gleick was the launch Chairman[5] of the “new task force on scientific ethics and integrity” of the American Geophysical Union.

And within a year Peter is forced to confess that…

… in a serious lapse of my own and professional judgment and ethics, I solicited and received additional materials directly from the Heartland Institute under someone else’s name.

So Peter, do tell! :lol:

2. Jon says:

correct “1895” to 1958. And thanks!

3. Gail Combs says:

GEE, so I did not have to truck hay in from Canada because of the drought several years ago….

4. Ernest Bush says:

As a child, I sat through two hurricanes in Houston, Texas. During the 50s, the climate was semi-tropical. There were years it rained inches of water every afternoon during the summer. I remember seeing the creek that becomes the Houston shipping channel, just past the downtown, looking like the Mississippi. There was a reason the bridge over that creek was 60 feet above the normal water level on chosen high ground. That bridge marked the beginning of the downtown area. Rains and massive flooding were no strangers to my relatives in Louisiana either.

There is only one difference about this today. Back then, Baton Rouge was a backwater town and most of the area around it was swamps and sugar cane fields. The coastline was not considered a great place to live BECAUSE of the hurricanes and large storms. The children of my fifteen aunts and uncles have settled there making a good life for themselves during a quiet time. Obviously this trend has been repeated in thousands of other families. Somehow, the knowledge of their forebears was ignored or not passed on. Now the weather pattern is repeating and the last two generations are gullible to the lies of this administration. They don’t have the memories usually passed down from fathers and grandfathers.

• Jason Calley says:

Hey Ernest! So now we have had a long period of relatively calm weather (in spite of the fact the the CAGW loons promised apocalyptic storms and hurricanes) and tens of thousands of homes, with many more thousands of people in them, have sprung up in the most unsafe coastal areas imaginable. Here in Florida I can point to a major development of expensive homes that are built on a sandbar. The funny part is that the sandbar never existed until we had a big storm about 30 years ago. The storm built the sandbar up — but somehow people do not think that the storm will ever come back and take the sandbar away. Why so crazy? Much of the impetus has been the availability of government subsidized or guaranteed flood insurance. So what will happen? Sooner or later, the trend reverts to the mean, and we will get major disastrous hurricanes destroying many billions of dollars worth of property. At that time we will hear the high pitched screetchings of the CAGW crowd, wailing that “carbon is destroying the world!” Sigh…

• Gail Combs says:

YEAH…

When we bought this land 20 years ago, Hurricane Fran hit on September 6, 1996. We walked down to the ‘river’ and found 1/2 the 100 ac we were going to buy under water. Within one stride it was over my knees. That means if another hurricane like Fran hits this area most of the houses along the river built IN the Flood Plain are going to be 3 or more under water. (Probably 20 to 30 feet)

• Caleb says:

I recall visiting a girlfriend in 1968 at a place built on a sandbar, (I think it was in West Dennis on Cape Cod), and her father, who was renting the place, was thinking of buying it, it was so lovely. The owner was an old Cape Codder who was selling it, but very honest, and he said, “I have t’tell you this. This land weren’t here before the ’38 hurricane.” The honesty convinced my girlfriend’s father not to buy. Actually a bad decision. So far. The place is now worth several million dollars. Until the next big hurricane. It will then be worth zero then because it will be gone. (So will the flood insurance people). (In fact some insurance companies are now cancelling insurance, even when people have been faithfully paying for fifty years, because the houses are now worth so much.)

In 1982 I was putting a small garden in a pure sand back yard (adding manure) in North Myrtle Beach, as an old southerner watched me over the next-door fence. I kept digging up bricks. When I wondered about them the old-timer pointed up the street and told me they were from a big hotel, five blocks up the street, that was demolished by Hurricane Hazel.

In 1989 I had some free time and went back to that area to see the effects of Hurricane Hugo. North Myrtle Beach was unscathed, but south of Myrtle Beach the damage grew more and more amazing, until the National Guard wouldn’t allow me to go further.

The simple fact of the matter is that any structure built on a beach should be deemed temporary. It is also a gamble. Some are still there in a hundred years, and some are gone a month later.

Global Warming has nothing to do with it.

Loving the beauty of the sea-side has everything to do with it.

• Rud Istva says:

Caleb, true. And I live on the Atlantic on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. But we adapt. My building is set on steel reinforced concrete piles every 10 or so feet down into bedrock about 60 feet down through beach sand. Lower garage floow is 8 foot above MHT, and auxiliary gen sets can pump water through 1 way check valves back to the sea after that. The considerable condo glass is all ‘Andrew proof’ capable of withstanding a 2×4 hurled 12 stories up at 150 mph. Double glazed nitrogen filled for summer AC efficiency, otherwise rather like ‘shatterproof’ auto windshields. Rather heavy (an understatement), and you should see the 1/4 inch thick solid aluminum sills that extend up about 4 inches. Real toe stubbers. In Cat 3 Wilma 2005, we had a minor amount of overflow handled by a single towel. We also just spent (we meaning Broward County plus Army Core Engineers 1/3) $56 million to widen 7 linear miles of beach by 2x with imported coarse sand, including 8 foot artificial dunes now planted in sea oats and sea grape. So some ‘natural’ adjustments.
          OTOH, our go bag is ever at the ready. I will ride out a 3, but not a 4 or 5. We give ourselves 15 hours to get to our
          North Georgia cabin. If not good enough depending on storm tracks, we keep going in shifts until reach my Wisconsin dairy farm which can survive anything including a direct tornado hit. Better safe than sorry, even in a purpose built ‘hurricane proofed modern’ building.

5. Cam says:

Here is a good flood history for New Orleans/Baton Rouge.

6. dave1billion says:

I was waiting for this. It’s so nice of someone to try and capitalize on our misfortune. I guess for this event time began in 1958 rather than the typical mid-70s number.

Gleick is a liar. I wish I could call him a fool, but he and his ilk know exactly what they’re doing.

I live in south Baton Rouge. I’m high and dry but my two sisters are flooded out. My 82 year old mother is without electricity. I’ve been running around since Friday helping people move stuff to higher ground.

This was really a freak storm pattern where a system just parked on us, spun, and dumped up to 2 feet of water on us.

To make it worse, this came on the heels of a super wet July. The ground here was totally saturated and the rivers were already relatively high. Initially the flooding was because the water couldn’t drain fast enough, then the rivers starting rising and we got backwater.

I’d describe this as a 100-year flood. There’s been talk of it being a 500 year event.
    The thing about 100-year floods is that they do happen every 100 years or so.

My grandmother used to tell me stories of the 1926 flood. She was within hearing when they started dynamiting the levees on the west side of the Mississippi to save New Orleans downriver on the east side. She was with her father on business and they were one of the last ones out before the roads closed.

I somehow doubt that the 1926 flooding was due to global warming. That was a completely different watershed, but these events will occur.

7. Jan_Vermeer says:

I noticed a little item in a program that airs on a sort of an oldies tv program channel here in the Netherlands.
    It is called Our World in… in this case 1940 , with at 8 minutes pictures of the 1940 Louisiana floodings.

source : http://goo.gl/t20Ofm

• Dave N says:

Bah! You can’t fool us with your non-peer reviewed (and therefore never happened) TV shows. Those stories were obviously made up by paid shills who went back in time, or by modern CGI, rendered in black and white.

8. DrSandman says:

I thought CAGW caused droughts… I am so cornfused!

9. John F Hultquist says:

Like many of his crowd, Peter Gleick just makes things up.
    Unlike the others, he admits doing so.
    Still, he ought to be in jail.

• Jason Calley says:

Gleick is a member of the politically well-connected class — and make no mistake, the CAGW cause is a political cause. The politically well-connected do not operate under the same set of laws that you and I do. The only thing not covered by their Get Out of Jail Free card is what happens if they ever tell the truth.

10. Stephen Richards says:

Louisiana has seen more rain in the last day than during 1000yrs in the Atakama desert. Stupid but then Gleick proved that yrs ago.