BBC : Snow Is A Thing Of The Past Again

Sixteen years ago, The Independent announced snow is a thing of the past.

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-7-23-44-am-down

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past – Environment – The Independent

Fast forward 16 years, the BBC has announced that snow will soon be a thing of the past.

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-7-08-18-am

BBC – Earth – Will snow become a thing of the past as the climate warms?

This will come as a bit of a shock to the planet, which believes fall/winter snow extent is rapidly increasing and currently near record high levels.

nhland_season4-3 nhland_season1-2

Rutgers University Climate Lab :: Global Snow Lab

screen-shot-2016-10-31-at-7-31-45-am

Rutgers University Climate Lab :: Global Snow Lab

23 Responses to BBC : Snow Is A Thing Of The Past Again

• tonyheller says:

July 4th skiing will be devastated by this shift towards earlier and heavier snow.

• Cam says:

For me, it’s not so much to do with the volume of snow that has come in the winter, but how fast it melts come spring. Slower melt allows more water to percolate into the water table rather than run off the surface. Last year, the northern and central Sierra Nevada in California had higher than normal snow totals on April 1st, but it melted so quickly there wasn’t much benefit to the long term drought picture. It helped the reservoirs, though, with better than average run-off.

• Steve Case says:

Blah … blah … blah … blah … blah … spin … spin … spin. Ten years ago I might have listened to your bullshit, but now that it’s nearly 30 years since Dr. Hansen started this crap and it hasn’t started to happen the way he and the rest your so-called experts and spin doctors said it would, so I just don’t give you any credibility.

This bullshit
          The odds are that what we can expect as a result of global warming is to see more of this pattern of extreme cold.
                          Dr. John Holdren, The White House – 1/8/2014

is the sort of crap we’ve all come to expect.

• tonyheller says:

It is all about finding some excuse to whine.

• Sunsettommy says:

The IPCC report states there would be LESS snow and more rain,freezing rain.

Reality is more snow and less rain since then.

• Robertv says:

Federated Farmers says many Hawke’s Bay farmers are struggling to fatten stock due to an unseasonally cold and cloudy spring.

• AZ1971 says:

That’s not to say that it can’t change to where it will stick around longer in spring. At some point, heavier snowfall during the NH winters would have had to persist through the summer months in order to facilitate ice ages in previous epochs. Through what mechanism? How could declining orbital mechanics overwhelm the LWIR physics of GHG’s?

I’d like to see some literature done on modeling that, instead of postulating the doom-and-gloom we all know and love to refute.

• AndyG55 says:

NH trend in snow area, peak to peak since 1996. From Rutger data

• AndyG55 says:

The main drop in snow since the COLD period of 1966 is in June.

The June peak was in .. wait for it … 1978 .

Again, that pesky AMO date. !! ;-)

Snow area is actually gaining in the Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan

1. oeman50 says:

Until I got “help” from my wife in cleaning out the closet, I would save my older clothes with the forlorn hope that they would come back into fashion. Which they do somewhat, but not really. Is that what BBC is doing with the “snow will be a thing of the past” BS? And I thought climate change caused warming in the Arctic which causes snow in Great Britton? Huh?

2. Robertv says:

An unseasonal sprinkling of snow has hit Victoria’s Great Otway Natonal Park this morning, just a month before the start of summer.

3. Jan_Vermeer says:

With the Polar Vortex weakening or splititting Western Europe is in for a 1962/1963 style winter, or 1946/47 , or a few WW2 winters, or 1996/1997, or middle Eighties or 2012 , 2009/2010 etc. When it happens : Bamm… you are in the middle of Labrador with winds from the East at 50 ° / 54 ° North.
    Current NH snowcover anamolies will help built High Latitude Blocking that will shift jet streams and low pressure systems South to 40 ° or lower in Eurasia

4. Andy Watson says:

They used the word may in the piece, not will. Will was used with a question mark. So it is not claiming, it is asking.

Andy

5. DennisA says:

They do quote Kevin Trenberth, who still hasn’t found his missing heat after about 25 years of searching.

6. RAH says:

Ah well, I’m glad it’s not snowing now. Depart at 18:00 for Harrisonburg, VA. Another all night drive. The downgrade on the east slope of Sandstone mountain is not a fun drive in heavy snow. The heavier the load the more treacherous it is. Came down two years ago one winters night when both lanes had snow cover and it was coming down hard and steady. Thankfully there wasn’t much wind and I only had 13,000 lbs. in the trailer which is perfect because that’s heavy enough to provide traction but light enough it doesn’t push down the hill too much. About 6″ of snow in the left lane but the right lane had other heavier trucks creeping down at 5 mph one behind the other in the cleared tracks. I could do 20-30 mph so was in the left lane a lot. Noticed headlights behind me the whole way coming down the mountain. When I got to the bottom the vehicle following turned and crossed the median to go back up the mountain again. It was a WV state trooper following me down making sure I made it or possibly taking advantage of the tracks I was making with the big wide super single tires on the trailer.

• oeman50 says:

Been that way a few times myself. Even though I-64 is an interstate, it is still very curvy and has spots with the speed limit posted at 45 mph. I was heading west to Charleston, no snow in Virginia, but when I got to the top of the mountain at the VA/WV border, the snow socked in. Whew!

• RAH says:

Yep! If it’s not snowing anywhere else along that stretch of I-64 it often is on Sandstone. This time I brought back 44,000 lbs. of paper rolls. Hauling large rolls of paper is one of those loads you go easy with. These were double stacked so that makes it even more hazardous. The rolls are so heavy that no straps attached to the trailer walls will hold them so they don’t use straps. They put down black asphalt mats on the floor of the trailer and the rolls ride on them. Then to keep the rolls from sliding they nail 6″ x 6″ wooden blocks cut into the shape of a wedge into the floor.

Now one thing any driver that has hauled these kinds of loads learns is that you can’t have any nails in the floor of the trailer because they damage the bottom edges of the paper rolls. But I didn’t know I was picking up rolls of paper until I got there. So after driving 538 miles and dropping a loaded trailer into a door then going around and selecting one of the three empties to hook to before I drove the 37 miles down I-81 to go to my pick up and finding out I what I was going to loaded with I swept out that empty trailer and with flashlight, carpenters flat bar, hammer, and pry bar prying up old nails bent down by the passage of Fork trucks over them and either pulling the nails out of the oak trailer floor or if the head was too far gone pounding it back and forth with the hammer until the nail broke off.

I got 5 hours of sleep before I took off headed for home. Climbing Sandstone I was down to 27 mph with flashers on but the traffic was light in the wee hours and the gusting winds I ran into starting about the middle of Ohio on US 35 made me glad I had a heavy load in the trailer. The great controller works in mysterious ways.

7. Pingback: It May Never Snow For Christmas In Cambridge Again Or Something » Pirate's Cove