The “Thing Of The Past” Coming To England Next Week

I’m traveling to SW England next week, Just in time for the snow.

Europe-wide Next 3 Days Accumulated Snow

Seventeen years ago, Britain’s leading experts announced that children just aren’t going to know what snow is.

According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia, within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event”. “Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he said.

David Parker, at the Hadley Centre for Climate Prediction and Research in Berkshire, says ultimately, British children could have only virtual experience of snow. Via the internet, they might wonder at polar scenes – or eventually “feel” virtual cold.

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past – Environment – The Independent

Those children are all grown up, and two years ago the BBC wondered if their children will ever see snow.

BBC – Earth – Will snow become a thing of the past as the climate warms?

With President Trump cutting off their funding, the global warming scam will soon be a thing of the past.

20 Responses to The “Thing Of The Past” Coming To England Next Week

1. RAH says:

Where the hell is Viner now? I find nothing new on him doing a web search. It’s like the guy dropped off the earth.

• Robertv says:

Flat Earther

• R. Shearer says:

“Since late 2012 I’ve been Principal Advisor, Climate Change for Mott MacDonald (a global engineering, management and development consultancy). Mott MacDonald is one of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, with 16,000 working in over 140 countries. My sources of job satisfaction are very similar to those I enjoyed at Natural England: collaborating with fellow professionals and seeing people from different subject backgrounds working well together.

The climate resilience aspects of sustainability have become increasingly important in all sorts of projects. My role involves me in a wide range of activities – bid writing, business development, thought leadership (speaking at conferences, writing papers). I developed a business case for Mott MacDonald to develop its services in Climate Resilience and the company is now investing its own money to do so. An important part of my role is to build capacity within the company and raise our profile internationally.

I’m involved in a huge variety of projects, from feasibility studies for hydropower schemes to risk assessments for buildings projects, to education projects overseas. For example, we are mainstreaming climate resilience into a major education programme in Nigeria (ESSPIN) aimed at strengthening education infrastructure, curriculum and teacher training. I’m even managing to publish still – in autumn 2014 I had an article in Nature Climate Change.”

• RAH says:

Thanks. So he is in the private sector. That’s a good thing. But being anywhere near education is not.

• KuhnKat says:

“The climate resilience aspects of sustainability have become increasingly important in all sorts of projects.”

I believe that used to be called contingency planning. The difference is that it now sucks at the teat our taxes through subsidies and grants not to mention onerous regulations forcing us to do stupid things along with the reasonable contingency planning.

2. Bloke down the pub says:

Hmm, 1cm. I don’t think I’ll bother getting the sled out yet. The latest Met office forecast I saw didn’t mention any snow.

3. Robertv says:

The al gore effect is changing in the Heller effect.

4. wert says:

The thing of the past of the last year is gone, some new will arrive soon. The greenhouse global warming snow will probably require a lot of snowploughing and at the sea, icebreakers will be in use. Exciting, true.

5. OneTeam says:

Where abouts in the SW? I’m originally from North Somerset.

6. garyh845 says:

Wait a minute. He said, “. . within a few years winter snowfall will become “a very rare and exciting event.”

It’s not winter yet. This is snow in the fall – that surely doesn’t count.

hehe.

7. Kelvin Vaughan says:

SW England is the least likely part of the UK to get snow as it is nearest the gulf stream..

8. RAH says:

Well, as we always do this weekend of the year, we brought Christmas down from the attic this morning. The little woman with an occasional assist from me when height, strength, or more than two hands were needed, worked all day decorating. I also glued the arms on a couple of elves that had suffered traumatic amputations. I erected the tree and got the lights working and she is now getting ready to decorate it. I have always preferred a real tree but the queen bee nixed that years ago. If they don’t call me to work tomorrow I will be putting up outside lights.

• AZ1971 says:

RAH, is that moniker meant as “Queen Bee” or more like “Queen B” where the “b” stands for another word?

God willing, I’ll be dumping mine at the New Year—and without the messiness of official marriage to go through in the process.

• RAH says:

Nope. Been married for over 34 years and going to stay that way. She runs the hive when it comes to decorating and in many other ways and that is just fine with me.

9. chris.v says:

Don’t get it,i remember when the US and Canada where in the freezer this time of year,yet they are way above avg.
    But here in Europe places like The United Kingdom,The Netherlands,Belgium,Germany,France get cold and snow.
    We are supposed to be moderated by the sea,but many places in the US and Canada are warmer than us now even in November.
    Seems to me the US and Canada are getting milder,while we are getting colder.
    Something off with that seeing Western Europe is being moderated by an ocean afterall.

10. Ulric Lyons says:

There’s a little snow for the SW on the GFS model for Thursday morning but it won’t be cold enough to settle. I’ll buy you a nice pizza if you happen to be passing through Glastonbury!