New Mexicans

I’m in New Mexico today taking pictures of some of the locals.

9 Responses to New Mexicans

1. Timo Soren says:

Some summers those tent caterpillars invaded our wind break trees.

Not a nice bug!

• MrGrimNasty says:

Every year when any tent spinning varieties appear in the UK, the media recycle the same story, along the lines of ‘poison caterpillar armies killing children’, probably the only story they report with the same balance as climate change!

• Ben Vorlich says:

The Pine Processional Caterpillars are gradually working their way north in France. Probably due to the fact that they like to go into soft soil at the chrysalis stage and get moved around in in soil with plants.

They have a great defense mechanism (Wikipedia):

Towards the end of their larval development, pine processionary caterpillars are highly irritating to the skin. Contact with the hairs of the caterpillar can cause severe rashes (urticaria) and eye irritation. Some individuals may have an allergic reaction to the caterpillar’s hairs.[5][11] 5th stage larvae can eject hairs when threatened or stressed; the hairs, which have the form of harpoons, then penetrate and irritate all areas of exposed skin nearby with an urticating protein.[12] Allergic reactions may follow in susceptible individuals on subsequent exposure to the hairs.

2. Disillusioned says:

I think the creature in the second photo likes you. I think I see some blur indicating he’s wagging his tail.

3. feathers says:

The Western Democrat Rattler – a very sneaky and dangerous pit viper – be careful!

• RAH says:

Snakes, even the most dangerous one, aren’t nearly as big of killers as progressive socialists. And unlike the later, they provide a much needed function and will generally leave you alone as long as you leave them alone.

4. RAH says:

I may be heading that direction this weekend. Volunteered for a run to Casa Grande, AZ since it is the annual company awards banquet is on Saturday and they are afraid they won’t have drivers to do the four loads they have going there over the weekend. Not interested in going to those functions even though this time I know that I am up for an award. Don’t know if they’ll need me for the run or not.

Another reason why I volunteered is that the Company has picked up a bunch of GM routes so they are giving up the Ball Container route to Casa Grande. It may be my last chance to get a solo run to AZ .

I volunteered despite the fact we’re redoing our dining room here at the house and I will finally be installing the inside trim of the new windows we put in 3 years ago in this room. They’ve waited this long and they can wait another week since I will earn an extra $560.00 if I go to AZ. The room already has an oak floor with oak base board both of which I will refinish to a honey oak finish. Installing new honey oak trim on the windows and honey oak crown molding. New ceiling fan and lamp to install. Two return and one register cover to remove, repaint, and install. And of course there is the spackling, sanding, and painting. Oak is hard wood and cutting it and nailing it takes more time and effort. When one hits a particularly hard spot it will jam my pneumatic finish nail gun and I have to drill a pilot hole and put the nail in the old fashioned way with hammer and nail set. A coping saw ain’t gonna get it for cleaning up the compound miter cuts required at the corners where the crown molding meets. So I will be using ornamental oak blocks in those corners that the crown molding will join with a simple butt joint.

I figure if I’m lucky I’ll get this house the way I want it about the time I die.

5. Former95B says:

Hey give us a wave when you come to town; I’m in San Tan Valley, about 22 miles north of Casa Grande.

Be forewarned, we’re having normal weather high 90sF. We’re getting HEAT warnings from our weather apps (It’s late spring in Arizona, you idiots!!) :-(