Optical Zoom Correlates With The Rise In CO2

I’ve been using a Nikon P900 for the past two years, and as CO2 has increased so have focal lengths.  The P1000 was just announced and comes out in September.

15 Responses to Optical Zoom Correlates With The Rise In CO2

1. The rise in CO2 correlates with the increase in my property tax every year.

2. Robertv says:

In a free market system (capitalism) products will become cheaper and better (competition)

• ЯΞ√ΩLUT↑☼N says:

That pic reminds me of the 1980 Moscow Olympics. East Germany and many other countries under the hammer and sickle thumb at the time got their toilet paper confiscated for the games.

3. ЯΞ√ΩLUT↑☼N says:

Nikon says the range is enough to fill the frame with the Moon..

I’ve seen you do better than that with your 900 Tony, or are you cheating by standing on a boulder? :P

4. arn says:

I was always on the verge of buying the p900
    but i also assumed that a successor will come-
    it was worth waiting.

5. Disillusioned says:

That range is sick!

6. Jeff L. says:

I would love these cameras except for the small sensor size. Smaller sensor = smaller pixels = less light sensitivity = more noise.

You would never be able to tell from Tony’s awesome photos though…

• arn says:

can you imagine how huge the cam would be with a good sized sensor?
      And how expensive?

and btw there already are some short videos about the cam on youtube
      and they are pretty interessting(eg.one guy,i think in central park,talking to the cam,and the cam zooms back and you can’t see him no more-and the quality was not bad at all at 60fps/1080p)

7. Brian D says:

Speaking of cameras, what you do is great, Tony, but when the government gets into the game, eyebrows should be raised.

8. Crispin in Waterloo says:

I used to work for IMAX when it was still called Multiscreen Corp, in Galt Ontario. One of my tasks was to train Hollywood cameramen how to operate the (large and noisy) IMAX 70mm camera. The goodies included a couple of sleek metal suitcases of lenses, one containing only a 500 mm and a 1000 mm lens. Real star-gazing stuff. We had everything down to a 28mm wide angle for use inside a room. When I started, there was no sound blimp so I made one that could enclose the whole camera, 1000 ft magazine and its clattering motor-driven mechanism that advanced the film 15 sprocket holes per frame, up to 30 frames per second. Until then, had been no indoor scenes in an IMAX film.

The advances in lens technology since then are just amazing. We struggled to get projector lenses made: huge aperture plates, and the San Diego Planetarium needed a 13-element lens that even Hasselblad couldn’t make. The placement of the film before exposure was very exacting. The tolerance was 1/4″ maximum shaking on the screen, 60 ft from the projector. In these days of nanometer technology it is easy to forget how well things could be hand-crafted back in the day.

9. Bruce of Newcastle says:

I don’t use a zoom lens. Don’t have to.

OTOH one-handed photography is hard. :D

• Disillusioned says:

“OTOH one-handed photography is hard.”

I see what you did there.

Good stuff Bruce! You have an Animal Magnetism. (You attract animals.) ;-P