More Evidence Of Global Warming

Yesterday, the downslope air was very stable and I could a lot of detail at 2.2 miles.

Today we are having northerly winds, and the local atmosphere is much more distorted.

If I blamed the change on CO2, probably half of the people in Boulder would believe me.

10 Responses to More Evidence Of Global Warming

1. RAH says:

Cooler air coming down and warmer air rising? Perhaps later in the day after the colder air starts coming down the slope you would have better luck. Many times in the mountains I have felt that cooler breeze coming down slope as the sun gets low and after sunset.

• tonyheller says:

• AndyG55 says:

moisture content ?

• RAH says:

“Downslope winds are warm, upslope winds are cool. For some reason, downslope winds tend to make the air very transparent.”

Not disputing what your saying for your location, but the opposite has been what I have experienced in most locations during relatively benign wind/weather conditions. Most noticeable when there is snow or a glacier at higher elevations above your location on the slope but I have even felt it on the wooded slopes of the White mountains in NH in the fall before snow has fallen.

2. arn says:

I really tend more and more to buy this nikon.
    ((though i decided to wait since canon TMed the 100zoom name))

3. I would think any windy air would be more well mixed, whereas a lower wind speed would allow more distortion from convection. In other words, more rising and falling air would be present on a more still day, but when mixed by wind, these features would be mixed faster before becoming a problem optically.

But maybe since the downslope air is heating adiabatically (and has already had its moisture wrung out), it has a more uniform density, whereas the upslope air has been heated in the plains and will have columns of warm / moister air intermixed with dryer descending air, even as the entire airmass moves upslope…

4. Extreme Hiatus says:

I only read the title of this post and looked at the photos but I can see the evidence of global warming that you mention.

In the second photo that truck looks like it is melting.

It all happened so fast! Just like they said it would!!!

5. Phil Jones says:

It was the rush of CO2 rolling down the mountains..

6. John Edmondson says:

This is the effect of atmospheric seeing, commonly a problem in astronomical observation.

explanation here:-