Boulder Global Warming Update

Pronghorn off I-25 in Cheyenne

15 Responses to Boulder Global Warming Update

1. R Shearer says:

Looks like you’re riding in the morning, too cold for me. It should be much nicer this afternoon.

I noticed I had a broken spoke on my rear wheel the other day. I took the wheel off then I discovered that I couldn’t find the tool (FR 5.2) to remove the free wheel. So, I went to Eldora instead to enjoy a little global warming, which was fantastic, until high winds shut down the main lifts.

2. John of Cloverdale, Western Australia says:

Global warming in Sydney. The heat of the January 2019 Heatwave has never been so bad ………………………….. (since the January 1939 Heatwave – sssh).
    PS Tony, I think you have already posted newspaper cuttings about the great heatwave of 1939 that hit southeastern Australia. The composite image below compares the well publicized 2019 heatwave, max temp, which is much lower than the ‘please forget’ 1939 heatwave, max temp.
    In 1939, Sydneysiders flocked to the beach because they had no home air conditioning and in 2019 (80 years later) they also flocked to the beach, not because they had no air conditioning, but because they couldn’t afford the electricity bill (driven up by subsidies to renewables and the abandonment of coal fired power stations .

• John of Cloverdale, Western Australia says:

Whoops! New image.

• John of Cloverdale, Western Australia says:

Try again.

• Robertv says:

“they also flocked to the beach, not because they had no air conditioning, but because they couldn’t afford the electricity bill (driven up by subsidies to renewables and the abandonment of coal fired power stations .”

Underground leaks are threatening all 23 projects using geothermal heat to keep Dutch homes warm, the mining inspectorate Sodm has told Trouw.

Salt water deep underground is corroding the metal pipes which are used to pump up warm water from depths of at least one kilometre below the earth’s surface, the agency says.

This is allowing dirty and slightly radioactive substances in the earth’s crust to leach into the upper areas. Three projects have now been halted for repairs and other drilling companies are trying to prevent the leakages with ‘anti-leak chemicals’, Trouw said.

‘This is not a sustainable solution,’ director Theodor Kockelkoren told the paper.
      The agency has now said it will come up with tough new rules for drilling companies to remove risks to the environment. ‘It is crucial that this process takes place safely,’ the agency said.
      Geothermal heat is seen as one of THE MAINSTAYS OF GOVERNMENT’S PLANS to cut natural gas usage in the Netherlands – it envisages hundreds of pumps supplying homes, greenhouses and factories with clean heat by 2030.
      The location of the drilling is also crucial and needs to be studied carefully to remove the risk of earthquakes, Sodm says.

3. rah says:

Global warming in Central Indiana is ICE. It’s covering everything. A fellow driver on the way to Laredo currently at a rest area along I-57 in southern IL told me road conditions from Anderson to where it was currently were terrible the whole way with more slide offs than he had ever seen along I-70 and I-57.

Contrary to the forecast we got a lot longer duration of freezing rain than we did snow but the winds were pretty much as predicted and they really did a number on the frozen trees in some places. That wind also resulted in some drifting. Lights flickered several times early this morning but thankfully I didn’t have to break out the generator. Current temp is 8 deg. F with sunshine. Low tonight forecast to be -8 F.

4. rah says:

BTW this site is a single reference with links to the official state websites which show current road conditions. Great single point reference.

5. GW Smith says:

Hi Tony – Are those studded tires you’re using?

6. rah says:

I-80 shut down in N central PA. There will be more for this storm and probably for at least a couple others to follow. https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/viral/truck-drivers-taken-off-roads-due-to-poor-roads-from-winter-storm/vi-BBSu0qm?ocid=spartanntp

During inclement winter weather I tend to take the toll roads because in general they will be kept open when other interstates get shut down. But getting shut down is really not that big of a problem for a trucker that has a sleeper as long as they’re prepared and not having mechanical problems. Keep the fuel level at 1/2 or above and five days provisions in the truck. Don’t have a TV or DVD player in the truck anymore. My Kindle and phone provide what I need to pass the time. So as long as you can find parking it’s really not a problem to be forced to shut her down.

7. Steven Fraser says:

I hope you all have clear skies for the lunar eclipse going on right now, which is now a small crescent, on its way to full occlusion.