Tenth Anniversary Of The Windsor Tornado

Ten years ago today, Windsor Colorado was largely destroyed by a half mile wide tornado.  I was just a few miles away and drove through there right after the tornado hit.  Hundreds of homes were destroyed and there was natural gas leaking everywhere.

That morning was warm and very humid, and the clouds were green. I knew there was going to be tornadoes as soon as I looked out the window that morning.

6 Responses to Tenth Anniversary Of The Windsor Tornado

1. RAH says:

That distinctive green cast is often the tell. Add a period of unexpected calm and no birds chirping and one better be paying close attention. But the worst is in those first hours of darkness when such tells are not in evidence. Then all you’ve got to go on when in the house are sirens, radar, and media until the thing is very close.

2. GeologyJim says:

I remember the Windsor tornado all too well – – my 60th birthday

Tornadoes are rare in this part of Colorado near the mountain front where surface elevations are over 4500 ft. Tony is quite right about the green skies – – very creepy and ominous

But the strangest thing to me was that the tornado tracked slowly north-northwest, nearly parallel to the mountain front. Weather here generally tracks toward east-southeast

• annieoakley says:

I remember the tornado very well too –my 57th and my son’s 26th birthday. He closed on a home that day and the tornado hit as he left the closing. I lived on the Western Slope then so he sent me a video and as I watched it, I thought the video was backwards. He told me that the storm formed near the foothills and moved northeast over Windsor. I was amazed.

• tonyheller says:

The storm formed east of I-25 and tracked slightly N-NW and crossed over I-25 near the soccer fields at Wellington.

• tonyheller says:

According to Roger Pielke Jr., Weld County has the highest tornado risk in the country. Happy B-Day!

3. arn says:

off topic_
    but this is the funniest thing i”ve ever seen.
    It”ll help the progressives and feminism to close whatever gap
    (though it is very bigot-just 2 genders)