New Video : Why Scientists Remain Silent

7 Responses to New Video : Why Scientists Remain Silent

1. Jeff L. says:

I’m very much looking forward to your book Tony.

I just watched your “Why Scientists Remain Silent” video and I have a question: When you referred to the PPC604 as being “based upon an incorrect theory from academia”, were you trying to say that RISC is inferior by design to CISC? (I am not trying to start a flame war. I am neutral on this topic.)

Thanks!

• tonyheller says:

RISC is fundamentally flawed, because it makes very poor use of the instruction cache. But the main problem with the 604 was that a four issue machine is pointless. Two issue is almost as good, uses much less electricity, and is much cheaper to build.

• Jeff L. says:

Thanks Tony. Not sure if you are aware, but the ARM Coretex-9 is a four-issue machine, and is very popular today. I agree that two-issue saves power, but everything today seems to be about performance. (I attribute that to software bloat.)

• Jeff L. says:

I will nit pick my own comment before anyone else has a chance: “Performance” can refer to many things, but optimally it could be instructions/joule. I should have just said “speed” instead of “performance”.

2. Brian G Valentine says:

I think that Itanium thing resulted from a desire to do some better graphics with a PC than a Mac could – Mac was deemed to have better graphics, but was processor poor otherwise.

Anyway I am routinely assigned to debunk scientific scams where I work. They trust me to do it. For thirty years I have tried get people to pay attention to the fact that AGW is a scam, I have has absolutely no success whatsoever. I don’t think I have ever changed anybody’s mind, once somebody held belief in AGW, that belief is there for good.

• Brian G Valentine says:

On the other hand, children with severe emotional and learning disabilities are prodded to make ridiculous claims and demands and are treated like Scientist of the Year.

If people criticize Greta they are accused of “abusing Autistic children.” Never mind the fact that her handlers are doing the exact same thing

3. GW says:

I remember back in the mid 1990’s the electric system operations department of the utility had installed RISC 600 or 6000 system to monitor and operate the power stations output and fuel consumption.