Just When You Thought Climate Scientists Couldn’t Get More Dishonest

Higher than 2016, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008 and 2007 is now the third lowest on record.

Arctic ice once again shows ‘considerable melting’ | Daily Mail Online

And a 40% increase in ice over the past five years is “massive melting”

21 Responses to Just When You Thought Climate Scientists Couldn’t Get More Dishonest

1. Adamant de-Nye-er says:

typo, I think, Tony. Did you mean “2017 is now the third lowest”?

The Daily Mail didn’t seem to quote anyone specific in the scientific community: the kind of short article that someone just writes up without checking to fill newspaper space. Stupid of them.

2. AndyG55 says:

Odd, I thought that the Arctic sea ice ALWAYS experienced massive melting from March to September.

This year experienced the smallest amount of melt since 2006

• Stewart Pid says:

You beat me too it Andy …. ice melts in the summer …. water freezes in the winter …. leftards are dumbfounded by nature ;-)

3. Gamecock says:

‘Researchers measure the Arctic sea ice each September, when it reaches its minimum and can provide insight into the most drastic melting and its causes.’

How do they know it has reached its minimum?

4. BallBounces says:

I believe them. I took some ice cubes out of the fridge and hour ago, and the melting has been massive, catastrophic even. I’m calling 9-1-1-…

5. CheshireRed says:

Tony fyi I’m getting a ‘certificate error’ warning on that DM link.

6. Norilsk says:

How I wish for some cold weather. Here in southern Ontario we’re into the fourth day of a blistering heatwave, with temperatures hitting 32 C to 33 C, even breaking the Norfolk County record on Saturday, Sunday and today. One more day expected. People are loving it. The Caribean and southern US get hurricanes and Mexico gets earthquakes. The true north gets the gold mine.

• Rob says:

I’m with you, mate. Outside of Brantford here and this heatwave is ridiculous, made even worse by how nice those first 9-10 days of September were. I swear that these last few days were warmer than any other day/period this year. Crazy.

I can’t wait for true fall and then winter temperature/weather.

• Norilsk says:

I live just off Highway 54 on Mohawk Street in Cayuga.

Our American friends should now that Mohawk and Cayuga are Indian tribes, part of the Six Nations Indian reserve.

• RAH says:

Drive through the traditional tribal lands for both tribes and the Seneca tribe frequently in NY. All beautiful country. Hills lakes, rivers and streams abound.

7. Norilsk says:

It is, however, -17 C in Alert at the edge of the world.

8. John Niclasen says:

Like MASIE shows no trend in Arctic sea ice since 2006, Arctic ROOS data show no trend since 2003; that is for the last 14 years.

The raw data is in a bit messy condition with not all datapoints sorted chronological and some double datapoints too, which needs to be removed to calculate trends. Also a little group of data values are clearly errors.

The errors, I left out, are:
    2003.26301369863
    2007.326
    2007.836
    2007.918
    2008.317
    2008.320
    2009.348

When this is sorted out, you get these plots:

Sea Ice Area:

Sea Ice Extent:

Data: http://web.nersc.no/WebData/arctic-roos.org/observation/DailyArcticIceAreaExtent.txt

Arctic ROOS site: http://arctic-roos.org/