Forty-Five Years Of Supporting Wilderness

I testified at my first Congressional hearing 45 years ago, in support of this wilderness area.

28 May 1972, Page 12 – at Newspapers.com

Climate fraudsters have hijacked the environmental movement, and people like me are taking it back.

15 Responses to Forty-Five Years Of Supporting Wilderness

1. RAH says:

I poked around the edges of asking in an earlier thread with no answer. So I’ll ask directly this time. Do you anticipate an encore visit to Congress in the near future?

• Colorado Wellington says:

Do you remember the teaser pre-Super Bowl commercials we’ve seen over the years, RAH?

• tonyheller says:

I don’t know. The invitation to Washington State may have been to see how I do in a hostile environment.

• RAH says:

Well, if that was the case then I anticipate seeing you on C-Span. Perhaps next to Dr. Curry and some others as you help slay the dragon. Though I know you Love where your living now I suspect that if asked, given the right circumstances, you would be happy to temporarily move back east to participate on a team that would audit the books and systems at NOAA.

• Steve Case says:

… The invitation to Washington State may have been to see how I do in a hostile environment.

Cool calm collected and well prepared is what I saw.

2. Russell Cook says:

Want an even more detailed account of the Grand Staircase-Escalante shenanigans? From Ron Arnold’s book “Undue Influence”, here’s the fixed link for his 17-page excerpt ( http://web.archive.org/web/20130525101816/http://www.undueinfluence.com/National-Monument-Abuse.pdf ), since the link within his short article here is busted: “Congress working to strip presidential land grab power” http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ron-arnold-congress-working-to-strip-presidential-land-grab-power/article/2528155

Read those two pieces and you see how we dodged a major bullet when Pat Toomey defeated Al Gore’s Katie McGinty for the PA Senate race last November.

3. Jason Calley says:

I know I am preaching to the choir, but this might be a good time to send Tony a tip. If he were being paid (as all the brainwashed alarmists seem to believe he is) for his research, for his posts, and for his various public appearances, it would probably not add up to 50 cents an hour. If you have something extra, please send it to him. If you don’t have anything extra, send it anyway and figure out how to cut corners later.

THANK YOU, Tony!

4. GoneWithTheWInd says:

The Escalante NM is a beautiful area that needs “protection”. And I am not saying this from an environmental point of view. There are special interests and commercial interests (not always the same thing) who want to profit or gain advantage at the expense of publicly held lands. As it stands now you and I and all 330 million citizens and millions of international visitors can go to this area and see it, walk on it, camp on it, enjoy it. On the other side you have people who want to privatize it and essentially buy large portions of it for pennies an acre and ban public access. I will be going to spend time here in April and again in September as I do every year. Every time I visit this area I think “what a gift to America” this has been. I encourage all of you to visit, spend some time walking it, seeing it. It is amazing.

• Ktm says:

All 1.2 million acres are breathtakingly beautiful? I think not.

Much of southern utah has been turned into an eyesore because of beetle infestations leading to ghost stands of timber all over. The federal policy prohibits removal of these dead trees, so it looks horrible and creates an enormous hazard for major forest fires in the future.

Private and state lands in southern utah are managed much better if you are concerned about natural beauty and protecting the forests and property.

Many of those million plus acres have no special beauty, and were designated as utah state trust lands. Development would have allowed many more state and local funds for K-12 education and for wildlife and wilderness preservation efforts.

5. Ktm says:

I appreciate your devotion, but there are other competing interests. The federal government has proven itself to be an irresponsible steward of these public lands. The NPS spews global warming propaganda at every park and monument. When the federal government shut down a few years ago, the national parks were closed. Local areas including Utah begged the federal government to allow the parks to remain open, and volunteered to manage them in the interim, but their pleas feel on deaf ears.

Bears Ears is an absurdity writ large. It’s a tiny little formation of a few dozen acres, yet Obama locked up millions of acres because. .. he felt like it?

What tourists are going to plunge 100 miles into the back country of rural utah? None. Locals who might actually do so can’t after the access is locked up. If you have a disability and can’t hike or ride a horse into the back country, how does the federal government shutting down dirt roads help you enjoy nature’s beauty?

What exactly is the upside here?