A Very Sad Day For Science

CgMJJtaUUAE5TE-

Dr. Bill Gray has passed away. He was my hero, and an inspiration.

Besides being a top tropical meteorologist and hurricane forecaster, Bill was a man of the highest integrity and character. Bill had his funding cut off by Al Gore in 1993 for refusing to go along with Gore’s global warming politics. Unlike so many others, Bill chose scientific integrity over politics and money, and fought against climate fraud to his last breath.

I spoke with Bill on Sunday by phone, and his last words to me were “I hear the beer is colder on the other side. We will have to have our next one there.”  He kept his great sense of humor right up to the end.

I look forward to our next pint, but for now I am heartbroken. Bill passed away on a snowy day in Colorado. His late wife Nancy was Mayor of Fort Collins during the 1980’s, and was responsible for the great system of bike trails there.

CgLe1QrUAAA2b1A

Rest in Peace Bill. I will miss you terribly. Bill asked me to carry the climate torch forward for him the next few decades, and I promised him I would.

12 Responses to A Very Sad Day For Science

1. GW says:

Indeed ! I first read his forecasts in the spring of 1998. He was a mountain, and will be sorely missed.

2. Nigel F says:

A giant of a man has gone. Men like him are few and far between.
    RIP Dr. Gray.

3. MRW says:

Sorry to hear this. He’s been extraordinarily generous with me, spending time explaining things I don’t really understand about his research. And he always ended the call with an invitation to call him anytime.

4. Stephen Richards says:

Oh how sad. When we lose people such as Dr Gray it leave us with the most massive black hole from which all information is lost and only memories remain.

5. Bill Illis says:

A great man. Hope he is having one of those colder ones right now.

6. ossqss says:

To live in the hearts of those left behind is to never die.

RIP Dr. Gray

7. GeologyJim says:

Crap. It takes a lifetime of hard work, diligence, and fealty to the scientific method to accumulate the kinds of contributions Bill Gray made to the study of climate.

It only takes one or two pal reviews for Mikey Mann’s statistical junk to become the “darling” of climate-science activists and political hacks.

Life isn’t fair, but Bill G is being rewarded on “the other side”, not just with cold beer, but with gratitude and admiration for a life lived honorably and well.

Thanks Bill for showing the way.

8. Jeff Howell says:

I am very sorry to hear about the lose of Dr. Gray. I’ve been a weather geek since I was 3 or 4 years old. I learned about Dr. Gray in 1993. I admired his superior intelligence and looked forward to his hurricane forecasts every year. I can’t explain the deep admiration I held for Dr. Gray. What Dr. Ted Fujita was to tornado research and forecasting Dr. Gray was with hurricanes.
    My condolences to all his family and close friends. May God Bless you with your favorite beer, and everlasting peace.

9. Anto says:

Vale a great, honest, brave man.

10. Russell Cook says:

On the various occasions when an AGW believer I’m jousting with says skeptic scientists are deniers or have inconsistent narratives, I hit ’em with Bill Gray’s quote out of the Feb 2000 NY Times, 5th paragraph: ”I don’t think we’re arguing over whether there’s any global warming. ‘The question is, ‘What is the cause of it?'” http://www.nytimes.com/2000/02/29/science/global-warming-the-contrarian-view.html

Certainly one of the highlights of my involvement in this issue was the occasion to sit in on the ‘hurricane-predicting jam session’ that took place after one of the dinners at Heartland’s 2014 Las Vegas conference, where Bill and Tony Heller were watching and discussing with Joe Bastardi as he showed forecasting material on his laptop.

11. Pete says:

Aight need a source for the Bill Gray being defunded thing. I do a lot of mopping up after dumb alarmists on social media and would like to nail down a source for that claim, thanks.