A Tough Weekend For Cycling

Fortunately I am in Colorado this weekend, but this is close to my weekend cycling route to Harpers Ferry, WV when I am in Maryland.

Screenshot 2016-01-23 at 07.57.03 AM

6 Responses to A Tough Weekend For Cycling

1. Douglas Hoyt says:

About 50 miles west of Harpers Ferry in WV, we have about 30 inches of snow so far. Biggest snow storm in the 15 years that I have been here.

2. Douglas Hoyt says:

Also see http://www.weather.gov/lwx/pnsmap?type=snow

I notice that Jones Springs has 33 inches reported. They are on the other side of a ridge from me, so the easterly flow tends to get trapped on that side of the ridge.

There may be 34 inches here. Hard to get an accurate figure with all the drifting.

3. Douglas Hoyt says:

Here are a couple of totals from the NWS.
    WEST VIRGINIA

…BERKELEY COUNTY…
    1 SW JONES SPRINGS 33.0 1130 AM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

…MORGAN COUNTY…
    2 SSW HANCOCK 35.5 140 PM 1/23 TRAINED SPOTTER

Still snowing hard, so these numbers will go up.

4. John F. Hultquist says:

The drifts are cars with windshield wipers raised and outward.
    This is the sort of thing that one person does and then another, not knowing whether it is a good idea or not. Then another. Then another.
    I understand the concept. Just don’t think it is actually useful. Most cars have heaters and the wipers won’t do much good if they get extremely hard — which they won’t in the D. C. area with this storm. Hot air on the windshield fixes the hardness.
    Besides, they are not going anywhere today or likely for about 3 days.
    But what do I know? It only gets to 2o below (F.) where I live.

5. Jimmy Haigh says:

You should fit one of Reggie’s blowtorches to the front of your bike.

6. CapitalistRoader says:

And a glorious mid-January day it was here in Denver with the thermometer at my house hitting 62.5°. The bike paths were full up.

Re: wipers up. It’s a common practice here. Dropping overnight temps ices the wipers to the windshield such that the blade frame breaks or the rubber tears when you try to lift it up to scrape. Easier to keep them out of the way before that happens. Maybe it doesn’t get that cold in D.C.?