Record Arctic Sea Ice Growth Continues

avctic-9_7_2016-9_25_2016

After the shortest melt season on record, and the earliest end to the melt season record, September ice growth has been the fastest on record.

osisaf_nh_iceextent_daily_5years_en-12

Ocean and Ice Services | Danmarks Meteorologiske Institut

Earlier this month, Mark Serreze from NSIDC advised the Ship of Fools that could sail to the North Pole.

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 6.23.45 AM

After unusual Arctic storms, sea ice coverage in region is plummeting

Good thing they weren’t foolish enough to listen to Serreze, like Lewis Pugh did in 2008.

ScreenHunter_2527 Jul. 16 08.30

North Pole could be ice-free this summer, scientists say – CNN.com

In 2008 Lewis Pugh kayaked about 20 miles out of Svalbard before he got blocked by ice, and then spun his total failure as proof of global warming.

screen-shot-2016-09-26-at-6-48-57-am

Explorer kayaks to 1,000 km from N.Pole | Reuters

screen-shot-2016-09-26-at-6-52-05-am

21 Responses to Record Arctic Sea Ice Growth Continues

1. Pingback: Record Arctic Sea Ice Growth Continues - Principia Scientific International

2. bleakhouses says:

Yesterday’s New York Times published an editorial in re the recent North West passage and its (alleged) illustration of climate change. The story was nothing unexpected from them but the cherry picked sea ice map was simply beyond the pale; using data from 1981-2010 only.

3. Caleb says:

What a laugh! I missed that Lewis Pugh stunt, back in 2008. The funniest part is that there is a warm tendril of the Gulf Stream that curls up around the west coast of Svalbard, and when that current is at its warmest (it varies) it can melt ice in the depth of the coldest winter. Pugh could have paddled that far during January last year.

I suppose that spin worked better back in 2008 than it does now. Alarmists seem oblivious to the fact they look more and more moronic, when they pull this sort of stuff. The public may be slow to catch on, but it does. Even in the old USSR, with non-stop propaganda, people became very cynical. Fortunately we have a shred of a free press left, (in the form of sites on the web like this one), and the public is catching on more swiftly.

4. Andy says:

What significance at all does a fast September refreeze have to show anything to do with climate?

Maybe it’s just cold up there at the moment?

One thing we should learn from the Arctic is short term fluctuations cannot be labelled with our spin on things.

Andy

• Neal S says:

• Andy says:

Good point Neal S.

“And yet if there were a quick melt at the beginning of the melt season, alarmists would be crowing about it incessantly. Unless you are willing to renounce arctic sea-ice alarmism, I would say the quick refreeze is a proof that the alarmists claims of excessive loss of sea-ice are BS.”

I totally renounce any short term Arctic and Antarctic claims one way or another, just to try and score a point. I’ve been saying this for years, see previous posts on this blog.

We know that scientists even are surprised by results. I was in conversation with one from NSIDC and he admitted the 2013 extent increase from 2012 was surprising. There is still a lot to learn up there. The scientists are getting better at it though, estimates for September average extent will be pretty good I think when they release them. Hopefully Tony will post the results for us to admire / laugh :D

Note I am carbon neutral when it comes to AGW, I just like watching how the Arctic believes. I don’t think the Arctic shows AGW one way or the other to a quantitative effect yet. Even the reason why the general downward trend has multiple suggestions.

Andy

• Sunsettommy says:

Does this mean Andy, now admits there is no “death Spiral” happening in the Arctic region?

• Andy says:

I never said there was a death spiral. It was an exaggeration.

Neither did I claim, as some did in the skeptic side, that we are going back to levels similar to 2006. We ain’t yet !

Trend is still down. Why? Lets watch and see what comes out in the wash.

Andy

• AndyG55 says:

The trend is NOT still down.

There is ZERO trend since the AMO topped out.

• RickS says:

Andy, You know “nothing” about the Climate, You know nothing about Ocean Currents, You know nothing about Meteorology, You know nothing about Land Temperatures, the “only” thing You do know is listening to complete pathological liars and their mainstream propaganda outlets which is basically “all” of the mainstream media !

As for myself, I do know about the Climate, I do know about Ocean Currents, I do know about Meteorology, I do know about Land Temperatures, I do know about Glaciation, I do know about Tropical Cyclones, El Nino and Last Nina, and most of all, I do know when someone is lying to Me and when someone is telling Me the “TRUTH” !!!

It’s a “good” thing to know and have your “facts” and that’s why it is very “easy” for Me to see them out !

[I don’t guess] ????????????????? !

That said, here is something to consider…

WHERE ARE THE “HURRICANES” AND WHERE DID THEY GO ?

If You know any of the above then by “default” You will respond to the above question in CAPITAL letters with an explanation… !

Rick (SoCal)

?

• ren says:

Area of the highest ionization in the lower stratosphere is consistent with the area of the lowest temperature of the Arctic Circle today.

• AndyG55 says:

“short term fluctuations cannot be labelled with our spin on things. ”

roflmao… now that truly is some sort of irony coming from you. !!!

The whole Arctic worrier meme in one short statement.

• Andy says:

Post where I have been ironic AndyG55 and trumpeted short term fluctuations?

My main post on refreeze was to see where the extent would be on 1st December to see if it had averaged out. My last graph I posted was comparing multiple years from different decades.

Andy

• AndyG55 says:

“What is more interesting is the very low minimum for extent,”

No, you never pushed short term fluctuations, bozo.

Are you aiming to take Jimbo’s place as Clown#1 ???

That will upset him greatly !!