Safe Space For Gangsters

Time Magazine just rated Columbia, Maryland as the best place to live in America, because of “diversity.”

I lived in Columbia on and off from 2011 to April 2015. It used to be a great place to live, but Baltimore gangs started moving in.  After being shot at on my bicycle and regularly harassed by gangsters while riding home from Whole Foods in the evening, I moved to Montgomery County.

I lived in an almost entirely black neighborhood, where many of the residents had moved to escape the Baltimore gangsters. Unfortunately the gangsters weren’t far behind. The last few months there I would hear gunshots regularly at night in my neighborhood.  One night I had police helicopters circling overhead for an hour while I was walking the dogs.

I don’t consider gunfire and gangs to be indicative of a good place to live.

2016-09-19130054

1. Columbia, Md. | MONEY

18 Responses to Safe Space For Gangsters

1. JGlanton says:

Which neighborhood of Columbia did you live in?

BTW, there were some gangs and thugs there in the late ’70’s after the subsidized housing went in as part of diversity planning. Before that it was safe to go anywhere in Columbia. Then it became dicey to use the underpasses and to walk through certain neighborhoods without thugs strongarming people demanding money. I saw a few guns, drugs and handcuffs in those communities after making some friends there. Got robbed in there once. The community as a whole was very safe, though.

• tonyheller says:

I lived in Owen Brown. Things went downhill fast over the past few years.

• JGlanton says:

Yeah I thought that was a very safe area. I grew up in Wilde Lake and the early utopia days. As a kid, I thought that black people were all college professors, coaches, schoolteachers, pastors, NSA managers, and Oprah Winfrey. When the govt subsidized apartments came in, well, I guess I can say that it helped prepare me for a different side of life.

• Latitude says:

…it’s not race…it’s culture

• Loren says:

Nailed it. It has absolutely nothing to do with race. If it was you wouldn’t have so many successful Blacks. But sadly, the prevailing culture labels the successful ones “sellouts”. Truly sad state of affairs. It’s tough to change culture.

2. Colorado Wellington says:

Everything is relative. Being shot at less is a definitive improvement for recent arrivals fleeing Baltimore.

I reckon even the gangsters like it better. Who wants to be shot by another gangster?

3. Robertv says:

Progressivism / Socialism needs to divide to conquer.

• Andy DC says:

I live less than a half hour from Columbia, MD and only about 45 minutes from George Mason. Only 10 minutes from NASA/Goddard and about same from NOAA headquarters. Aren’t I the lucky one to be so close to all the action!

4. mat says:

You need to read Colin Flaherty’s book, “Don’t Make the Black kids Angry” so you can figure out what you did to them…

and check out his youtube channel…

5. TA says:

I find it hard to understand that Obama has not lifted a finger to help the Black communities. How can he overlook the mass killings going on?

If you have the power to stop this mayhem, and you do nothing, then there is something very wrong with you.

• Gail Combs says:

Obama HATES Americans and that includes black Americans. His goal is to rip this country apart. He has set race relations back a hundred years and he and the democrats have done immense damage to blacks by ripping apart their family unit.

6. Lokki says:

About Columbia crime rates

The crime rate in Columbia is considerably higher than the national average across all communities in America from the largest to the smallest, although at 29 crimes per one thousand residents, it is not among the communities with the very highest crime rate. The chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Columbia is 1 in 34. Based on FBI crime data, Columbia is not one of the safest communities in America. Relative to Maryland, Columbia has a crime rate that is higher than 77% of the state’s cities and towns of all sizes.